It seems that as long as health fads have existed, there’s been a strong debate for and against cleanses as a proper way to recalibrate and rejuvenate our bodies.
Some argue it’s actually bad for you and often dangerous, while others find that a bi-annual or yearly cleanse is vital to staying vibrant and refreshed. Is there a definitive right or wrong answer? Science hasn’t been able to prove one way or another, and one reason why is there are thousands of cleanses to choose from, some legit and some bogus. Here are some tips to choose the cleanse that’s right for you:
- What needs cleansing? First and foremost, ask yourself what organs need a “scrub.” Why do you think they need a cleanse? Have you been drinking too much and feel like you need a liver cleanse? Perhaps you’re having some digestion issues and need a colon cleanse? Or maybe you generally feel like you need an annual tune up. Regardless of your choice, make sure that you have a good reason for the cleanse, otherwise you could be doing more harm than good to your already healthy body. If you have severe concerns, I recommend communicating this to your doctor before embarking on a cleanse—the issue may require more attention than daily smoothies…
- Consume natural! Generally, you want to consume things that are natural. For example, if you’re doing a colon cleanse, eat natural foods that have laxative qualities like psyllium husks and bentonite—chemically created supplements can often deplete your body of vital fluids that could leave you fatigued and lacking vital nutrients. If it comes from nature, the odds are in your favor that you can consume it without concern.
- Do your research! If you’re so interested spending time, money and energy putting things into your body to get healthier, you should spend at least as much time deciding on what things you’re going to gulp down. You should pat yourself on the back for being proactive about your health, but that’s only half the battle. What do other people think of the cleanse? The internet has thousands of resources where you can read what other folks’ experience has been with the cleanse you’re interested in.
- Be practical! Choosing a cleanse that’s inconvenient to your lifestyle is only going to make the cleanse ineffective and confuse your body. If you’re sure you can stick to the recommended schedule and eating requirements, then go for it! If not, why waste your time? As space guru Yoda says, “Do or do not. There is no ‘try.’”
- No cheating! Know your limitations. If your cleanse says you can’t drink coffee and you HAVE to have coffee, then don’t move forward with the cleanse. Mixing elements from your normal lifestyle with these new elements can seriously throw your body out of whack. Stay strong! Your body will thank you for it later!
And by the way, kudos to you for taking initiative to better yourself! You’ll find that, yes, your body will feel better, but I promise your mind, spirit, and personality will shine right along with it! Being healthy isn’t a sacrifice, it’s a paradise!
Remember, shift happens!